CBE and SEAS have long been committed to preparing its students to live, work, and become leaders in a world marked by sweeping demographic change and interconnectedness. We welcome our International Students & Scholars of diverse backgrounds and the contribution they make to CBE.

Please find a list of resources available to all international students and scholars at Penn below.

International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS)

ISSS is responsible for the general welfare of foreign students at the University. ISSS contacts overseas students following their acceptance by CBE to provide assistance with immigration, academic, and other concerns.

Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) for International Students & Scholars

International students are a significant part of the Penn community. CAPS recognizes that international students have unique needs, concerns, and strengths, while sharing common interests and goals with their American counterparts. Among the range of services that they provide for all Penn students, CAPS offers tailored support and programming to international students.

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

Graduate students in SEAS who meet the USCIS eligibility criteria (see below) may apply for independent study (IS) academic credit for the purposes of F-1 curricular practical training (CPT).

EAS 5100: Technical Communication and Academic Writing for Non-Native Speakers of English

Graduate students in SEAS who use English as a second language and who need to develop the communication skills for their academic and professional careers are welcome to take this course. Students whose native language is English will also benefit from the course, and from working in class with their fellow students and colleagues who use English as a second language. Graduate students from other schools at Penn are welcome, space permitting.

Reduced Course Load

If you are experiencing academic or medical difficulties and may need to take time off from your academic program, you may be eligible to apply for a Reduced Course Load.

*For Masters & Doctoral Students on Thesis/Dissertation Track:
If this is your final semester of coursework before the start of your thesis or dissertation (only) status, an ISSS
advisor could approve you to register for a course or courses left for completion. Once you have completed your coursework and begin working full-time on your thesis or dissertation, you are required to continue to register for master’s thesis or doctoral dissertation tuition (or registration) during each semester until you graduate.

Scholarships, Grants, and Fellowships that Accept Applications from International Students & Non-US Citizens